[email protected] tsmwebb@gmail.com is offline

Default Sea Anchors and Drogues

On Jan 4, 11:09 am, Wayne.B wrote:
... A lot depends on the shape/steepness of the waves, type of boat,
racing vs cruising, etc. ...

Amen.

... On a very fast, seaworthy 50
footer with high freeboard, we used to stuff the bow into the backside
of waves all the time, typically bringing green water back past the
mast. No big deal in normal, mildly gnarly conditions.

Sure, but you were out having fun and pressing the boat a bit, weren't
you? I suspect that If you'd dropped the main and gone to a chicken
kite, removed some of the junk from the bows, and trimmed things so
that the driver could steer around the bigger holes you would have
been a lot drier but maybe still have been overtaking those waves...

-- Tom.