Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default communication question

Ken Marino wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:54:06 -0600, Geoff Schultz wrote:

Ken Marino wrote in
:

Fairly new to the group. My wife and I purchased a 40' sailboat
about 6 months ago and are ready for our first long trip, We plan
to spend 2-3 months in the Florida keys and Bahamas--mostly the
latter. Any suggestions on a reasonably priced ( I know cheap is
out of the question ) phone and or data plans out there? Many
thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Also open to
starting an ongoing exchange of experiences with any who have done
or are doing similar trips.

Get yourself the best plan for FL and/or wherever else you plan to
cruise in the US and place it on hold when you head to the Bahamas.
Buy an unlocked GSM phone for use in the Bahamas. You may be able
to use the same phone as you used in the States. For example,
T-Mobile utilizes GSM phones in the US. When you get to the
Bahamas, purchase a SIM card from BATELCO and purchase minutes as
you go along. I think that it's about $1.15/minute from the Bahamas
to the US.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Thanks Geoff,