Geoff Schultz Geoff Schultz is offline

Default communication question

Ken Marino wrote in
:

Fairly new to the group. My wife and I purchased a 40' sailboat about
6 months ago and are ready for our first long trip, We plan to spend
2-3 months in the Florida keys and Bahamas--mostly the latter. Any
suggestions on a reasonably priced ( I know cheap is out of the
question ) phone and or data plans out there? Many thanks in advance
for any and all suggestions. Also open to starting an ongoing exchange
of experiences with any who have done or are doing similar trips.

Get yourself the best plan for FL and/or wherever else you plan to cruise
in the US and place it on hold when you head to the Bahamas. Buy an
unlocked GSM phone for use in the Bahamas. You may be able to use the same
phone as you used in the States. For example, T-Mobile utilizes GSM phones
in the US. When you get to the Bahamas, purchase a SIM card from BATELCO
and purchase minutes as you go along. I think that it's about $1.15/minute
from the Bahamas to the US.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org