BAR BAR is offline

Default Handicapping Iowa...

HK wrote:
Eisboch wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 22:12:08 -0500, HK wrote:

There's going to be a landslide vote for the Democratic candidate in
November. The populace is tired of the S.O.S. from the Republicans.
I'm not sure about that at all.

I'd argue the point, but it wouldn't change your mind. :)

My sense, after seeing the results in Iowa, is that Harry is probably
correct.
The Democrats came out in force (numbers) to support their candidates,
much more so than the Republicans came forth to support theirs in an
otherwise red state.

People have had it with the current state of affairs and are looking
for a breath of fresh air, I think. That includes the "business as
usual" candidates of both parties like Clinton and McCain, so it
really only leaves Obama and possibly Romney. I don't think Romney
would stand a chance against Obama, even if he manages to get the
nomination.

Edwards is still a remote possibility however.

Eisboch

More than twice as many Democrats came out to the caucuses than
Republicans.

That in itself says a lot about the excitement Dems have for their
candidates, and the lack of excitement Repubs have for theirs.

CBS News reported that the Republican turnout was much higher than it
was last election cycle. Excitement is high on both sides for this
event, selecting the respective nominees from both parties.

Add in the crazy procedures the Dems use in the Iowa caucuses, and the
time it takes. You have to be motivated to hang around for two hours for
that madness. Contrast that with the Repub caucus procedure...just make
a mark on a paper ballot and go home.

What about the report Fox News report that the Iowa Cacuses don't
accurately reflect the way Iowans vote in the general election?

John McCain is too conservative for my taste on several issues, but he'd
be a more than competent president. I do worry about his age, though. I
don't think the Repubs are wise enough to nominate him.

If McCain doesn't win in New Hampshire he is gone. He may stick around
through South Carolina, however, Huckabee will get the South Carolina vote.

Romney! Ha! Romney has a hairdo, a lot of nice suits, and a lot of
money, but he has flip-flopped on so many big issues, he makes John
Kerry look like a guy wearing concrete overshoes.

Romney comes across as more presidential than Kerry could ever dream of.

My ideal Republican candidate, though, is Mike Huckabee. He's just
perfect for the GOP.

He is perfect for the Democrats. If he was on your slate he would win
your party's nomination.