Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Sea Anchors and Drogues

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 14:32:38 -0600, "Stu" wrote:

Hey Vic;

I saw this post with your name. I had used drogues when I got caught in an
extra tropical hurricane "Grace" back in 1991. Wild ride, seas 35-40 feet,
a few rolled over the deck. You may not remember, but on Gamgee I had
organized a lot of things using plastic milk crates.

Can't say I remember those. I recall everything ship shape and, and
never worried about anything hitting me in the head when we got tossed
around crossing Lake Michigan. You probably got those crates later,
when you started cruising the Atlantic and needed to store more
"stuff."

When we started
surfing, I unscrewed the milk crates and attached to a stern anchor line.
It slowed us down and things were controllable again. The plastic would
break apart after 5 or 8 hrs. I ended up using all the milk crates. The
storm was still bad, so I ended using my stern Danford 22 S anchor. It
worked but not as well as the crates, the danford would pull down at about
30 degree angle. Where as the milk crates pulled at the surface. Awesome
sight seeing the milk crates explode and tumble down a wave face.

I *sorta* wish I had seen that, but your description will suffice.
Good thinking, and that might be useful for somebody caught in a
similar situation. Whether you're carrying a drogue, or sea anchor or
milk crates, I've got a feeling that when caught in those conditions
as you were, much depends on improvisation in the end.

Yea I need to buy a real drogue for the new boat. I hope if I purchase
well made drogue, maybe I will never again see such waves again.
I am not keen on sea anchors, especially off the bow. A sea anchor slows
the boat's speed. When off the bow, you end up going backwards, different
type of stress put on a boat, think of that rudder getting hammered.

It all sounds tricky, and merits a lot of thought and consideration to
the particular boat.

--Vic