Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] Reginald P. Smithers III[_9_] is offline

Default Later all Time to go to a NYE gig.

wrote:
On Jan 3, 8:47 am, "Reginald P. Smithers III" "Reggie is Here
wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:

wrote:
On Jan 2, 4:21 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:58:25 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:
You've got it made! There's nothing around my place to hear a good
blues band, that is unless I go 100 mi. to the St. Louis area then
there the blues joints seem to be a dime a dozen
I like "blues" in general, but most of the time you see amateur blues
bands that suck - big time.
I like seeing local talent. There's lots and lots of damned good
musicians out there that have just not been *discovered*. It's a
damned hard racket to get into, especially if you have stars in your
eyes.
Kind of ruins it for me.
Funny story about blues music. Way back in time, New Orleans Civic
Auditorium - BB King and band.
I was still in the service and of my buddies got five of us tickets -
excellant seats - third row back/center - out freakin' standing.
I'm normally oblivious to things and I didn't notice that I was the
only white guy sitting in that area - meaning floor seats - kinda
stood out if you get what I mean.
So I'm digging on the music and having a great time - first set goes
by, break, then out for the second set. Band is starting up with some
kind of high energy R&B thing and BB steps up to the microphrone,
starts with Lucille and says - "This one's for the white guy down
front" and swings into this rockin' blues number. I'm thinking "white
guy down front" then my buddy says "I think he means you". I look
around and sure enough... :)
Pretty cool.
There's a local blues club here that has local talent, and some of the
best soul food in the world! Almost all of the times I've been, I've
been the only white guy in the place. The big ole lady that does the
cooking calls me Bright, so now that's kinda my nickname in the place!
She loves the fact that I feel comfortable there and love her cooking!
What is the name and where is this club located?

I have always loved blues, including blues/rock groups such as the
Allman Bros. and Eric Clapton. Many years ago, Underground Atlanta had
an old time musician who played the classic Black-blues (ie Muddy
Waters, Howling Wolf etc). I think his name was Red.- Hide quoted text -

At Dante's?

Nope, it was on the main street, it was a pub and he played at the
window. It was about a half a block from Dante's. I think he was
blind, but it has been many years. I have always thought of Dante's
asng playing Jazz , not blues.