druid druid is offline

Default Fuel consumption on Volvo MD6A?

On Jan 2, 7:59 am, "Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark
wrote:
"druid" skrev i en ...
No, litres is good - I'm a nice metric Canadian, only mentioned gals
so those Americans would understand...

Looking at a 50 l tank, so at 5 knots with a couple litres to spare,
range would be about 150 miles. (if its not "quiet", there's wind and
I can sail!)

Thanks
druidhttp://www.bcboatnet.org

This summer, I visited family on Vancouver Island, and enjoyed sailing
in the beautiful waters in and around Georgia Strait. Where I come from,
the current is generally not that much of a problem, but I learned, that
the tide in some of your waters can give some very different conditions
and boat speeds. I.e.: 50 liters of diesel may not always give you 150
NM ... ;0) ... But you can count on your engine will run for a little
more than 30 hours ... ;0) ...

Yup. Part of "navigation" in these waters is accounting for tidal
currents, both in when you hit a pass or channel, and in range, etc.
In Theory it balances out (you'll be going with the current as often
as against it), but Local Knowledge says differently: for instance,
flood tide around White Islets can be 2-3 knots, but ebb tide is
pretty much non-existant. And there's a place around Arran Rapids
where flood and ebb tide go the same direction! (ask Capn Vancouver!)

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org