[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default We're Done (no fork please)

Around $3700

Larry wrote:
Hmm...much less than I was expecting....good fuel management!

Fuel efficiency was a priority of ours when we were shopping for the
boat, and it remains a priority when cruising despite it not being our
biggest cost... it's still a significant cost. I believe that rather
few powerboat/trawler cruisers genuinely understand the trade-off
between speed & fuel efficiency.

Our boat has a range of 1200nm, which allows us to buy where it's
cheapest; and the internet allows us to dig for info on fuel prices in
the areas we are traveling.

One of my pet peeves is mankind's foolish infatuation with horsepower.
Our boat has a 135hp diesel, which theory suggests could burn about 12
gph. In practice, we generally burn between 1 and 1.5 gph at speeds
between 6 and 7.5 knots; that's between 1,000 and 1,600 RPM on an
engine that redlines at 2350. We've run it up to full throttle a
number of times and the boat seems to top out at about 8.5 knots,
which makes a heck of a lot of foam & splash & wake.... have no idea
what our fuel burn is at that throttle. But we could get along JUST
FINE with 75 or even 50 hp however nobody in his right mind is going
to market a boat like that... at least, not until fuel prices get a
heck of a lot higher. And most people think that 135 hp is kinda wimpy
for a 36' boat!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King