HK HK is offline

Default Handicapping Iowa...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Chuck Gould wrote:
I admire John McCain for standing up for fellow veteran and fellow
senator John Kerry when Kerry was being smeared and slandered by the
Swift Boaters in '04. McCain knew that the chrages were a combination
of distortion and unbridled BS, and wasn't afraid to say so. To me,
that indicates a preference for truth above partisan politics. That
stand, and some similar over the years, is probably what will cost
McCain any chance to win the R nomination. A candidate needs to appeal
to the party fanatics during the primaries, and then switch gears and
appeal to the center after the conventions. The R party fanatics don't
like McCain all that much- but he would appeal to most of the folks in
the middle. At least IMO.

I don't believe McCain has what it takes to appeal to the simpie fundies,
and they are the ones that control most of the GOP. But I would like to
see him win because it might help restore a little honor and integrity to
the GOP, a party nearly destroyed by the Bush "divide with fear and
conquer" tactics of the last seven years.

I think the GOP nominee will be Huckabee. If it is, I believe he'll be
drowned in the general election, and that will be good for the Republican
Party, because it will be able to use that loss as an excuse to distance
itself from the screwball "religious" voters.

Fortunately, some big time Christian sects have already distanced themselves
from the Republicans for various reasons, mostly involving ethics. 2007 was
a great year for hot gay Republican sex along with hypocrisy about the
subject. That should help drive a wedge between the party and the sects.

Who are the fundies going to vote for? Republicans, of course.

--
George W. Bush - the 43rd Best President Ever!