Default Handicapping Iowa...

wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:46:32 +0000, Canuck57 wrote:

Why McCain? I view him as having too many back room allegiances and
special interests to be any good. But then again, I can't vote -- just
curious on US politics. Kind of like Ron Paul myself.

True, McCain was one of the Keating Five. He admits to "poor judgement",
which it was, but it also seemed to be a wake-up call. Since that time,
he has been a lead voice in campaign finance reform, and from my vantage
point, a straight shooter. While I don't agree with many of his stands,
I think he is one of the few honorable men in Washington.

A refresher in McCain's involvement in the Keating scandal:

http://www.slate.com/id/1004633/

His military service is also valuable, but not in a way that's obvious.
Success in politics (and other areas of life in general) often depends on
getting certain people to shut the **** up already and stop making noise, so
actual messages can be heard. There's a contingent of voters (unfortunately)
who believe that you cannot formulate foreign policy unless you've served in
the military. McCain's history silences those idiots, at least on THAT
subject.