[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default We're Done (no fork please)

Geoff Schultz wrote:
Congratulations! That must feel good. However, it looks like you did the
entire 5000-7000 mile trip in 7+ months...Amazing! That's 700-1000 miles a
month. Did you ever stop?

Well, yeah... we anchored or docked every night except one

Actually we took many 2 or 3 day stops in enjoyable places; waited 4
days for weather and 4 days for a flood; took a couple weeks off to
rent a car & drive back home (once for Thanksgiving, once for another
family event)... When underway we usually made 40 to 60 miles a day;
early in the cruise we pushed harder and made a number of ~80 mile
days.

We also observed first-hand the sharp divide between slow cruising and
fast cruising. Many people make the Loop in boats that make 80+ mile
days with a much shorter time commitment; this reduces their need for
weather windows and influences them to skip a lot of potentially nice
spots in between major ports... it also increases their expense for
fuel dramatically!

Best Wishes for a Great 2008!

Doug King