Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Roll Stabilization Tanks

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 00:20:52 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

Anyone here have any experience with roll stabilization tanks -
designing, building, tuning, etc. ?

I'm talking about passive roll stabilization using port and starboard
water tanks connected by a "slosh" tunnel. If sized properly the
water sloshing between the tanks will be out of phase with the roll
period and dampen the motion, even at anchor.

I thinks its about the same principle as skyscraper passive sway
stabilizers. A moveable mass tuned to the same period as the sway
(roll) frequency, that moves out of phase with the sway or roll,
damping it. Come to think of it, there's the pendulum crankshaft
damper used in light aero engines to damp torsional vibrations - an
engine killer.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK