posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default External Wifi Antenna

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 08:03:00 -0800, "Patrick Harman"
wrote:

I would like to thank everyone who assisted me in my quest for a WiFi
solution on my boat. I am considering the following as my solution:

EOC-3220 EXT

see data sheet at:

http://www.engeniustech.com/resource...3220%20EXT.pdf

cost about $160 from many sources plus shipping and taxes.

Comes as a complete kit with mounting hardware and Power Over Ethernet (POE)
adapter. I will see from experience if a higher gain antenna will be
beneficial. It comes with a 5db rubber duck antenna.

Anyone with hands on experience, I would like your comments.

Pat Harman
M/V Meriwether
Oak Harbor, WA

I have one on my boat and it works pretty well although there is a
learning curve associated with getting it configured and operational.

Based on my own experience you might want to also consider a
Senao/Engenius EUB-362-EXT

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/EUB...EUB362EXT.html

I have both on my boat, connected to separate omni vertical antennas.
The 362-EXT is much easier to use and configure, and also has better
receive sensitivity. The down side of the 362 is that it has to be
fed with bulky, low loss LMR-400 coax and it is not weather proof.

For mounting at the top of a sailboat mast the EOC-3220 is the only
pre-packaged solution that I am aware of. If you are comfortable with
rolling your own, take a look at what Skip Gundlach is using on his
boat.