Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default What's your (entirely subjective) Favorite Offshore Cruising boat from 35 to 45'?

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:30:27 -0800 (PST), wrote:

kupono wrote:
I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained by it.

1. She must be easy to handle.
2. She must be comfortable.
3. She must be seaworthy.
4. She must be fast.
5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

Some years ago I posted a copy of Edey & Duff's essay here. Still
worth consideration IMHO... their Stone Horse is a lovely boat but
it's a bit small for most people to consider for more than weekending.

My favorite cruiser is our 36' tugboat, in which my wife & I are
currently cruising the Great Loop...

Good points in favor of considering a fuel efficient powerboat. The
original poster did not specify power or sail but there is a cultural
bias towards sail in this forum. That said, after 11,000 nautical
miles of experience we are very happy with cruising our Grand Banks
trawler, as are many other people. It has at least twice the interior
volume of a comparable sailboat, a great deal of system redundancy not
found in most sail boats, is faster than any sailboat we have ever
owned, invariably gets compliments on appearance, carries enough fuel
and water to be totally self sufficient for several months if
necessary, very comfortable, and easily handled with one or two
people. Something to consider if you are not intent on crossing
oceans, although there are cruising trawlers that will do that also.

Some pictures he

Boat, Dock, Tiki hut, etc. -

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...AaOGTlo0Zt2LlI

Abacos Cruise -