Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default December 24 - For all the saints (a riff on a hymn)

On 2007-12-26 17:37:50 -0500, Bruce in Bangkok said:

You know? I've been reading this on this news group for years and for
all that time, and longer, I've been using 3M 5200 to bed things on
boats and never once have I had any problems in removing the item when
I wanted to.

I agree it is a pretty good adhesive but certainly not impossible, or
even very difficult. to remove items attached with it.

My experience has been that with good surface prep, 5200 is essentially
"forever" (or at least greater than a decade). Extremely tough to
cut, stayed flexible and bonded to the surface better than the gelcoat
to the substrate.

It is a good "glue" but easy enough to remove. Take a couple of putty
knives and sharpen the edge like a knife. you can drive these between
the two parts to sheer the 5200 (it never gets hard) and work around
the whatever you are taking off. then just pull it off. It sounds kind
of difficult when described but is actually pretty easy once you get
the hang of it. The nice thing about 5200 is, as you say, it makes a
joint that lasts forever.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)