Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default December 24 - For all the saints (a riff on a hymn)

On 2007-12-24 20:11:52 -0500, Bruce in Bangkok said:

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 05:33:29 -0600, Geoff Schultz
wrote:

Skip Gundlach wrote in news:518214e6-13f1-479c-
:

We will use that track to install a storm trysail track on the mast.
The same stainless rivets we bought for our railings will work on that,
as well.

I hope that you're not planning on using stainless rivets on an
aluminum mast/boom! You're looking at serious corrosion problems if
you do that.

-- Geoff
www.GeoffSchultz.org

Given that all the sail track I have seen is stainless how do you
suggest it be installed on the aluminum mast?

?? Every bit of track on our boat is aluminum. Given an aluminum spar
and aluminum track, I'd tend toward aluminum rivets, perhaps more of
them, but as closely spaced as most track holes are, the built-in
overkill seems sufficient.

Meanwhile, stainless fasteners in aluminum isn't significantly
different than through-bolting aluminum with stainless bolts. Ours
haven't seemed to suffer ill effects after 35 years.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD