posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska[_2_] Bruce  in Alaska[_2_] is offline

Default External Wifi Antenna

In article ,
Larry wrote:

Bruce in Alaska wrote in news:fast-
:

Unless you have a lot of money to spend on very "Good" quality
Coax cable, you would be MUCH better off putting the Client
Access Point up the mast, and use POE, on the ethernet wire,
to power it......

Got any S-band waveguide, Bruce?.....(c

Wifi will NOT go reliably over 500 yards because of the very intense
data storm which cannot tolerate the multipath reflections, which are
awful on 2.45 Ghz. The speed wifi runs is its worst enemy in range.

Larry

Not true at all Larry, I have a Western Mutiplex Unit (Part 15) that
brings in my twin T1's, that runs on a 16 mile Path, from here to Hoonah
Mtn.... as well as an 802.11b path that takes my LAN 2.1 miles down the
beach, so some Close Neighbors, can access the Internet, using my
MIcroISP. I am in the middle of upgrading that path to 54Mbs, using
MIMO AP's and Clients, getting ready to expand the LAN bandwidth for the
Summer Folks. We have 1100' of Ethernet Wire strung thru the woods that
feeds up the mountain for a couple of guys that don't live on the beach.
Works good so far, at 10BaseT speeds, and with a Hub/Repeater powered
using POE, at about 600' from the AP Client. WiFi works just SPIFFY, if
one takes the time to engineer the paths properly.

Bruce in alaska
--
add path before @