kupono kupono is offline

Default What's your (entirely subjective) Favorite Offshore Cruising boatfrom 35 to 45'?

On Dec 22, 12:20*am, izibizi wrote:
On Dec 22, 4:10 am, kupono wrote:

I'm looking to compile a list of favorite cruising boats based upon
your completely subjective opinions. Eddy and Duff's criteria might be
a useful guide, but don't feel constrained *by it.

* * 1. She must be easy to handle.
* * 2. She must be comfortable.
* * 3. She must be seaworthy.
* * 4. She must be fast.
* * 5. She must be beautiful.

Please qualify your choices with fully founded, and no doubt, highly
subjective arguments based on well thought out personal opinion (and
hopefully experience).

Let the opionions fly.

1. how much u want to spend, the worlds largest freighter is handled
by 13 men only, most of them for cleaning and cooking, automatisation
is the world, it costs

2. how old are u? a mans age in feet boat length is an old rule of
thumb, still comfort levels are something personal, fakirs have a
different lifestyle compared to a princess on a pea.

3. some swear on iron or lead ducks, a hole and they sink, but if they
return after a capsize, they are mostly upright, I believe in
Catamarans, they might end up upside down, and this is how the are
sometimes found, sunken monohulls are mostly not found any more. Both
varieties have seaworthy and less seaworthy examples

4. well, then look into a modern trimaran and do not expect any
comfort, not even paint on the carbon hull. maybe a bucket as toilet.
I went for a balsa/honeycomb cat, 43' 8800lb plus payload 1000sqft
upwind sail

5. well, if all women like the same guy, what will all others do? for
some a tank is beautiful, some love soft lines, some baroque ones ;-)

my last cat was a shangri-la-nova 47', German designer Nissen with
help of a guy (Pieske) cruising around the world for 15 years,
homebuilt but so beautiful someone forced me to sell, even when it was
ten years old, better he would have stolen it, then the insurance
would have paid more. **** happens.

Now after ten years owning a cat I know what I liked, basically the
same, it was a perfect design, just a little heavy, but rock solid.
This one is smaller, much lighter, just fits like a tight jeans, 43'
Schionning design. for me the Australians have some of the best cat
designers when it comes to pleasing lines (Grainger, Lidgaard,
Spirited Design), there might be other good designers too, but I did
not like how the yachts look like.

You write CRUISING, means you spend most of the time at anchorages,
occasionally a passage, living on board. Nothing beats a well designed
Catamaran for that. no rolling, no gimbaled stove, at anchor peaceful,
yes, uphill sometimes noisy, but that is no long fun on a mono either,
but on a cat you still cook when on a mono you secure everything. And
in a marine you live first floor and not in the basement.

My opinion....

This thread is about you, not me. I want your opinions. Mine suck. I
couldn't afford a boat the length of my age anyway. I do like multi-
hulls though.