Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Coast Guard Licensing of Recreational Boaters

wrote in message
On Dec 19, 4:18 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
I haven't seen the article... Although I'm not enthusiastic about the
red-tape and hassle involved for licensing for regular boaters, I'm
wondering if it's such a terrible thing. (I should add that I'm likely
not
affected, since I have a CG license.) One needs a license to operate a
motor
vehicle, why not a floating vehicle? ...

The CG wants boaters to be required to have positive ID on them at all
times. If your mariners ticket is like mine it is just a bit of paper
and pretty useless as an ID so they'd probably make you at least go
and get a merchant marine ID card (STCW). As Roger points out the CG
is pushing this as a "Homeland Security" measure not a boating safety
measure. Test based licensing is a different thing and while I don't
see any compelling reason for it there is a strong trend towards it in
the states. The group knocked the licensing topic around pretty hard
not too long ago and I'm not excited to revisit it. I hate the idea.
It seems like an expensive solution looking for a problem. And the
short answer to your question seems to me to be that operating motor
vehicles on the roads has proven to be very dangerous even with
mandatory testing while operating boats even without testing have
proven to be pretty safe.

-- Tom.

I believe it's TWIC, since I don't cross international boarders with my
license, but ok. I know you're right. I think it should be a boating safety
issue not a HS issue. I think a simple written test wouldn't be all that
terrible. Re driver licenses, I haven't had to do a test for that in 25
years (or more)... it's all done by mail unless you have a bunch of tickets.
What's wrong with first time boat owners having to take a written test?
While boating is much, much safer, I don't see why it would be such a
terrible thing.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com