Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default OT - Medical stuff in MIA/WPB - ENT, Mammography and Colonoscopy

On 2007-12-18 23:09:41 -0500, Wayne.B said:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:53:13 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It's overdue for a discussion of how cruisers manage their doctors
visits, not to mention insurance.

Interesting point, especially when headed for an international
destination. Fortunately we've never needed medical care while on our
5 and 6 month east coast cruises but it could certainly happen.

A few of the stories I've heard over the years indicated that
outpatient service in many places costs less than the co-pays we have
come to expect.

But, evac for major stuff is quite expen$ive! Guy on one of our BVI
trips jumped off of the other boat onto the dock and broke both ankles.
Airlift to St. Thomas for major surgery and thence back to England was
"not trivial". Seems the UK system covered most of his costs, but I
believe he was out-of-pocket for some. And at least one on this list
can relate the story of a heart attack requiring a trip back to the US.

DAN is good for some stuff, but I believe there's a plan through the
SSCA that sounded better when I investigated.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD