posted to rec.boats.building
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Looking to build folding sawhorses

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:11:13 GMT, Peggie Hall

I need about four sawhorses to lay my sailboat mast (50') horizontally while
I am doing the preparation work in the spring.

Ideally, I should be able to transport these four sawhorses in the trunk of
my car from my house to the yacht club. Then bring them back home and store
them for the rest of the season.

I have two saw horses that consist of two metal pieces (for each saw
horse..total of 4 for two horses) into which 2 x 4 "legs" and a 2-4
cross member, all cut to length to achieve the desired height and width
of the saw horse, are inserted and clamped. To store or transport, take
'em apart...remove the legs and cross member and stack 'em. In fact,
mine are stored on the top shelf in my garage store room now, so they'll
fit in the trunk of any car. ssembled, they're definitely strong enough
to support a mast. I got it all at Home Depot.

I can just see horses with just barely enough crossmember to hang the
mast in rope slings. An inch, maybe. Few would want to borrow them.

Casady