druid druid is offline

Default Prop for MD6A?

On Nov 22, 7:36 am, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:46:02 -0800 (PST), druid
wrote:

Interesting discussion - here's an "update":

First, I realized I have a spare prop: a 14x8(? have to look...) 2-
blade non CS (BTW, DON'T tell CS that their patented curve is simply
"cupping" ). I can maybe repitch it or just leave it as is - in any
case, I can put it on with a quick-lift rather than lifting the boat
out, leaving it on the hard while I remove the CS, get it repitched
and put it back on.

Second, I've decided to pull the head and injectors and try to squeeze
a bit more life out of the engine. Already got them off, getting them
to the rebuild shops on Mon, but 'er back together next weekend, and
see if I can get a few more RPMs. If not, I can still slap on the 2-
blade...

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org

=======================

Let us know how it works out. The real world has a way of confounding
the theoretical at times.

Well, I FINALLY got the engine back together and running! Rebuilding
the head and injectors only cost $650, but lots of grunting and
general blue-air. Took her out for a bit, but there was quite a bit of
tide and gusty winds, so it was a bit hard to see any changes. I think
I got maybe an extra 1/2 knot (didn't have GPS and was too busy to
check RPM on the hand tach).

One thing that DID happen is now I get the "classic" grey/black smoke
when I push up the throttle past where the RPMs get any higher,
telling me too much fuel for the engine speed. DEFINITELY a sign of
over-pitched prop! So: gotta pull her in the spring to check/replace a
thru-hull, so I'll reduce the pitch an inch, maybe 1.5 inches....

druid
http://www.bcboatnet.org