Ian Malcolm Ian Malcolm is offline

Default british seagull info request

no onecares wrote:
I know some of you cruisers are using a british seagull engine for
your dingy.
I just purchased one, in good running condition, but has no paperwork.
Where can I download manuals, info, etc?

I know I can buy them, but I am sure there are some groups like with
the A4 that share them and talk up a storm!

thanks

Joe

The company that ended up with the British Seagull spares inventory and
rights and continues to support the engines has the copyright to the
user and service manuals. (Selva ended up with the rights to produce
Seagull branded engines but have nothing to do with supporting the
original engines.)

The consensus on the various forums is that although the OEM parts
supplier is rather expensive, ripping off their copyright is a *BAD*
*THING* as no-one wants them to decide supporting Seagulls is uneconomic
and dispose of the remaining inventory. The original works docs were in
'dead tree' format so there were no conveniant files for employees or
dealers to leak.

Generally anyone trying to trade in ripped off scanned manuals gets
banned from the forums so DONT unless you dont want to have access to
one of the friendliest and most helpfull user communities you will ever
meet.

The Owners Handbook is *real* simple and any of the forums or supplier
sites will give you a brief list of the essential do's and dont's, so
you can easily do without it. The Service Manual is actually a
collection of service bullitins and Seagull used to send the same
bullitin individually if one ordered a particular service kit. Most
suppliers would still be happy to send a copy of the carburettor diagram
if you were ordering carb parts etc. though you might have to ask. The
Owners Spares Book is the exploded diagrams and parts list but the
forums will help you get part numbers given a description and the better
suppliers will send you the right parts as long as you give them the
engine number so one can manage without that as well. The Retail Price
List is just good for giving you sticker shock, e.g. eight years ago,
the GBX10035 BEVEL PINION (12 Teeth) was £47.17 and it hasn't got any
cheaper. I shudder to think what that would be now in dollars and you'd
need to replace it as a set with the Crown Gear as well. Be very
carefull to use the correct spec gearbox oil and check it often!

The best seagull forums are at http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/
Goto the 'Guest Pages'. If you have any servicing to do or operational
questions - just ask over there.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL:
'Stingo' Albacore #1554 - 15' Early 60's, Uffa Fox designed,
All varnished hot moulded wooden racing dinghy.