posted to rec.boats.building
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default inexpensive diesel engines

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 09:50:00 +0100, Heikki wrote:

John C. wrote:

Run it as a generator and use it to charge an oversized bank of batteries.
With an electric motor you will gain variable speed and direction without
have an engineering nightmare.

I have been speculating about a diesel-electric propulsion for a smallish
sailboat. Does anyone have links to, or experience with, small electric
motors that are suitable for continuous use - most of my googling finds bow
thrusters and other extra machinery.

There are electric fishing motors, in the one horsepower or less
class. Maybe enough power for an under twenty foot boat. Not good on a
windy day.

I am thinking of a fairly small engine, say 5-10 Hp, to be used mostly in
manouvering in and out of marinas, and occasionally coming home from a calm
sea. Would it make sense to mount the whole engine on the transom-hung
rudder? That way it could turn with the rudder, and give good steering in
both directions. When not in use, it could be lifted out of the water, so I
could use a decent size of propeller for it.

There is the tried and true outboard motor. Hanging stuff on the
rudder sounds like a poor approach to me. Not to mention ugly.

Would anyone care to shoot the idea down before I get too attached to it.

Shouldn't be too hard.

Casady