Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Buying a boat without sales tax?

As I understand it, even if you have out of state registration, if you stay
in specific waters longer than (30-90 days), you will be required to pay the
state duties. Typically the harbor masters continually watch for this kind
of use abuse. This is true even if you have foreign registration. Even
worse, with foreign registration, you will be required to exit the country
and make to a foreign port after typically 90 days. If you find a way around
these rules, please let us know. I'm in the same boat. (So to speak)
Steve

"ray lunder" wrote in message
news
Ahoy, I live in Washington state and am thinking about my first "real"
boat- a blue water cruiser in the $30k-$120k. When I buy a car I pay
something like 8% or if it's a gift or a damaged vehicle or you phoney
up the bill of sale you still pay some arbitrary made up blue book
value the state institutes and which is not insignificant. On a $100k
boat this is $8000. Something tells me rich people don't pay this. So
what's the scam? Foreign registry or forming your own corporation or
what? Sorry to be so clueless. Thanks for your time.