posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
John C. John C. is offline

Default inexpensive diesel engines

Run it as a generator and use it to charge an oversized bank of batteries.
With an electric motor you will gain variable speed and direction without
have an engineering nightmare.

"Calif Bill" wrote in message

wrote in message
Somehow I found this site:

http://members.aol.com/westernstar66/indianlisters.html

that lists a 20 hp diesel for $3250, a real bargain for a new engine
compared to most diesels for boats. These are low rpm diesels that
can run on vegetable oil and are very efficient.

So, what would you do for a transmission? Maybe you could use a belt
with an idler pulley that was lever controlled. Tension on the idler
pulley would sorta regulate the speed. Maybe the engine has a speed
control, I dunno. Reverse would be a real problem. These look heavy
but just cool as hell. I love simple stuff, great engineering.

Looks a lot like some of the old 1 lunger diesels in the Monterey fishing
boats and some of the other commercial boats in the 1950's.