Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default 1970's car advert

"HK" wrote in message
Tim wrote:
On Dec 12, 3:58 pm, HK wrote:

I think my mothers 53 Desoto had pushbuttons in the steering wheel.
I recall the buttons first appearing in the 57' DeSoto.

Didn't the '53 (like most Chrysler products) have a "cluthflite"
transmission, where you could use it as an automatic OR push a clutch
pedal to disengage it?

The 1948 Chrysler product on which I took my Connecticut driver's license
test had something like that, but I don't recall what you are mentioning
on my father's 1953 Dodge. It was a fully automatic. I have no memory of a
"standard shift" Chrysler product from those days.

Chrysler had a "semi automatic" transmission in 1941. It had a clutch, but
you used it only to select a range, High, Low or Reverse. Once you put the
shifter in High, you released the clutch while keeping your foot on the
brake. When you wanted to go, you pressed on the gas pedal and the car
would start moving. If you then lifted your foot slightly, it would shift
into a higher gear. Two forward gears only plus reverse.

Eisboch