posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Solar Panel

Geoff Schultz wrote in
:

http://www.geoffschultz.org/BlueJack...ical/20061121_

095647.htm

Nice looking electrical installation, Geoffrey. I do have one
suggestion for the battery installation, though......to be taken
as constructive, I hope.

Let's flip the boat upside down and watch the battery box cover.

I don't see any locks on the deck that will hold it in place
against 500 pounds of batteries coming loose. I can't see any
battery hold downs, straps or otherwise in the picture, but maybe
you can enlighten me.

This battery compartment is somewhat similar to the one in Joe's
Jenneau 40DS under the deck at the bottom of the main ladder.
His came with at least an internal latching cover that had two
deadbolt latches, that weren't going to hold back three Group
31s, much less the monster batteries than you have. So, here's
what I did...

Turn the blocks in your installation from horizontal to vertical
to center the battery in the hole, that's great. Now, in between
rows of cells, tight over the labels on both ends fore/aft, add a
two hold down 2x4s across those labels, between the caps. The
long side blocks in the picture would be in the way of them is
why I want them vertically. Make the length of the 2X4 1" longer
than the battery compartment's narrow width so the 2x4s must go
through matching holes in the plastic...er, ah,
fiberglass...boxes. This will prevent the 2x4 from being pushed
out of the box when the boat pitchpoles...or broaches. Right
near the point where the board enters the holes in the box, screw
in a sheet metal screw, leaving the head sticking up an inch to
lock the boards centered into their positions, keeping them from
moving sideways so they can escape the holes in the box. The
wide side of the board is against the battery top...distributing
the weight of the battery pounding around upside down in the surf
against a large surface 4" wide the full width of the battery top
so it doesn't crack the plastic case. The batteries can no
longer move vertically in those boxes because the 2X4 is hard
against the top of them when installed. They can no longer fall
out of the hole, break apart when those battery cables jerk the
posts out of them suspended upside down, causing the cells to
short adding a battery explosion, or three, to your pitchpoling
problem.

You can still check the cell water without touching the 2X4s in
all cells. To replace the battery, simply remove one of the
sheet metal holding screws, slide the 2x4 sideways further into
its hole until the other end of it is free of the hole and remove
the 2x4 allowing you to easily take out the battery.

Cheap...costs almost nothing to do...scrap lumber. Stain it to
look like expensive teak or mahogany...(c; Haze Grey to match
the batteries would be nice, too. Engrave HOUSE and ENGINE into
the wood holders to replace those tacky magic marker labels.

There, now I'd be glad to sail with them in these holes....in
heavy weather. One less thing to worry over while you're hanging
on for dear life!

Thanks!

Larry
--
Everyone else whos huge house batteries cannot survive
pitchpoling stand up and slap yourself in the face!

IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!....