Gene Kearns Gene Kearns is offline

Default Santa selling his sled. Will need a boat by 2012.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:11:38 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

|On Dec 12, 2:56?am, Short Wave Sportfishing
|wrote:
| On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:58:13 -0800 (PST), Chuck Gould
|
| wrote:
| According to that group of left wing nut jobs, the National Aeronautic
| and Space Administration, the ice at the north pole (and the rest of
| the arctic) is melting at a rate that could
| leave the north end of the globe ice free by 2012.
|
| http://ff.org/centers/csspp/press/20070302_release.html
|
| http://motls.blogspot.com/2007/08/st...khaven-climate...
|
| And lastly,
|
| http://www.epw.senate.gov/109th/Carter_Testimony.pdf
|
| Do try and read the science instead of the AP.
|
|The Lord Whatever in the first link is a British politician..... no
|more credible than Al Gore. (Al Gore should not be considered a
|climatologist).
|
|Neither of the individual scientists in the other two links dispute
|that the earth is in a warming trend, they are merely pooh-poohing any
|association between a change in the mixture of gases in the atmosphere
|and an increase in the temperature of the planet. Check that, one does
|agree that there is a link but postulates that the damage has already
|been done and that additionally altering he mixture of gases in the
|atmosphere is unlikely to accelerate warming any more.
|
|My post simply addressed arctic ice melt, as observed by NASA.
|You are reacting to the concept that "evil, greedy, industrial man has
|so poisoned the air with exhaust that we're all going to cook as a
|result".....and clearly that was not part of the message.
|
|It's a scientific fact, with empirical evidence provided by satellite
|photos and other official measurements, that the arctic ice is melting
|at an alarming and (at least through the summer of 2007) an
|accelerating pace. Whether that is caused by man's pollution of the
|atmosphere or not, if the trend continues we could face some dire
|consequences.
|
|You have posted here that you are aware of previous polar relocations.
|What happens to a revolving sphere when the distibution of mass is
|radically altered? With ice building up at the south pole and ice
|disappearing at the north pole, we could eventually experience up to a
|90-degree shift in the orientation of the planet- with centrifugal
|force moving the heavy south pole into a position at or closer to the
|present equator. Previous polar shifts have been sudden, traumatic
|events. Very few species have survived.
|
|If present trends continue, the Arctic will be ice free during the
|summer months as early as 2012. Nowhere did NASA, the AP, or I insist
|that you sell your big block pickup truck and take up driving a Prius
|instead. :-)

I'll soon have oceanfront property... I guess that isn't *all*
bad....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats