posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building
Larry Larry is offline

Default inexpensive diesel engines

wrote in news:df918b70-350c-4fa7-80a1-
:

Somehow I found this site:

http://members.aol.com/westernstar66/indianlisters.html

that lists a 20 hp diesel for $3250, a real bargain for a new

engine
compared to most diesels for boats. These are low rpm diesels

that
can run on vegetable oil and are very efficient.

So, what would you do for a transmission? Maybe you could use

a belt
with an idler pulley that was lever controlled. Tension on the

idler
pulley would sorta regulate the speed. Maybe the engine has a

speed
control, I dunno. Reverse would be a real problem. These look

heavy
but just cool as hell. I love simple stuff, great engineering.

http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Pep Boys Auto Parts had this 6KW diesel genset, electric start,
quiet cabinet, ISO900x certified, painted yellow but from this
Chinese company, for $1599 last fall. I'm running 2 diesel cars
and a V-8 diesel stepvan on used frying oil from Chinese
restaurants, so decided to buy one for the house in case of
hurricanes here in Charleston.

It's a great little genset, 120/240 60 Hz for the American
market. It turns 3600 RPM from its 1 cyl OHC 4-stroke diesel and
runs a LONG time on a single fueling. Its only headache is its
WEIGHT! The Chinese now seem to have VAST resources of HEAVY
STEEL and aren't afraid to USE IT in their products. It has
wheels for a reason. None is going to carry it off without a
fight...(c; The cylinder, for instance, isn't a cast iron sleeve
in an aluminum case...It's a CAST IRON CYLINDER, the old
fashioned way!

There's a compression release so you can hand crank it with the
included crank handle if the battery goes dead. Even comes with
a little AGM starting battery you can't pronounce.

I ran it on diesel for the first 20 hours to make sure it wasn't
going to be a return problem, but have migrated it, now, to my
cooking oil soup of 1 quart of mineral spirits mixed with 20
gallons of cooking oil and it cranks right up.

Whenever I crank it, my smartassed neighbor shows up with his
drop cord, the price I have to pay to run it 24/7 in
emergencies...(c;
I'll even have 220VAC hot water....

Larry
--