posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter Martin Baxter is offline

Default What is the perfect boat?

wrote:
How about a sailing discussion?

Is there such a thing as a perfect boat?

What characteristics would be paramount, what compromises would you
make?

Speed? Many different characteristics make a boat "fast," light-air
performance, good pointing to windward, ability to plane off the wind,
etc etc.

Comfort? A roomy cabin, or one with a sumptuous galley & head... how
about reliable & effective heater and/or air conditioner?

Looks? I'm torn between tradition, say a gaff-rigged schooner.... and
a racy modern sport boat... both can be very good looking.

What do you think?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Hmmm , fast, points well, is warm and dry, sails comfortably, is
absoulutely maintenance free, never lets you run aground, costs nothing
to purchase, is so pretty that marinas let you stay for free... oh,
almost forgot, your wife loves it! No wait that might be a draw back
for some..!

To answer your question, I don't think there is such a thing as the
"perfect" boat.

Cheers
Marty