posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ed Ed is offline

Default Solar Panel

West has the larger Sunsei panels with mounting hardware. No follow the
sun capability so you set them up for the prevailing afternoon winds.
That can be put in parrallel for more capabilities. For multiple
batteries it is usually cheaper to have multiple panels than to get an
isolator. Tiny ones for dingy go for $30 +- larger ones for $80 to
300 depending on the power needed. nice mounts for another 30-50.
Figure out your load (if any...) assume about 5-6 hours per day in the
caribean. so a 10 watt panel will give you 50 watt-hours per day
which is about 4 amp-hours on a 12V battery. Pretty much enough to
remove the internal drain from the battery resistance. If you run a
fridge you will need a LOT MORE. A small deep freeze will take about 3
sq meters of panels. just batteries internal drainage about 2
sqft/battery

Hanz wrote:

Ed wrote:

for sailboats? For use while moored? for trickeling your battery
or for heavy charging to replace power from appliances? Sunsei has a
nice line for light charging to mid level boats but more data is needed.

For sailboat. Moored. I need heavy charging. I have w ind generator but
would like solar.For use in the caribbean.

Hanz