Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Even Wilbur wouldn't bad mouth this one

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:28:01 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

I'm not sure what the common shipboard use of "knots" would have been
in 1854. I know that the log was cast the report made would have been
"X" knots and "Y" feet, or fathoms, so possibly it would have been
common to talk of knots per hour. I'm fairly sure that the Captain
knew what it meant though.

Bruce-in-Bangkok

Hmmm..the chip log had knots at 47 ft 3.5 inch intervals,
so when the chip was cast, the knots were counted while
the 28 second glass ran.
The speed was reported as (the count of) knots.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK