HK HK is offline

Default AT&T offer's VOIP

BAR wrote:
HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 6, 10:48 am, HK wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in
message
The power of competition is amazing. I have been using Vonage
for a few
years, and can not tell the difference between Vonage and
BellSouth except
for the lower price and substantially more features offered by
Vonage.
Today, I got an offer in the mail from AT&T offering VOIP and
similar
features at the same price as Vonage. As long as Vonage
continues to
provides excellent service, I will not change, but it is nice to
see the
market place working.
I spent an afternoon of grief with Vonage yesterday trying to
resolve a
modem problem (no dial tone). It was eventually fixed on their
end (they
had to reconfigure a port) but only after dealing with 4 different
techs,
all of which were from India and hard to understand.
I haven't heard or seen a single reason to drop my hardwired phone
service for VOIP. Being an old-fashioned O.F., all I want from my home
phone is dial tone 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the time and
if I
have a question, an English speaker providing the answers.- Hide
quoted text -

I am with you on this one. My partner has wanted to try VOIP, but I
have business peers who use it and it sucks. I consider any business
that uses VOIP over hardwire, cheap and unprofessional. I don't
wan,wan,wan,wan.wan.wan.wan.wan.t to,o,o,o,o,o,o,o, hear this ****
when I am talking to a business contact, and my clients never will
from me either

The actual phone service is not bad. It all depends on the quality
of your internet service. When speeds drop in my area (Time Warner
sucks) then the voice quality degrades to unacceptable.

Vonage needs to improve tech support and stop routing these calls
through India.

A friend in Bal'mer is raving about the telco's new optical cable
services...but it'll be centuries before they get down to my lightly
densely populated 'hood.

My densely populated hood doesn't have FiOS yet either. Ninety percent
of the hood would switch to Verizon's cheaper "cable" and Internet if it
was offered.

From what I have read, I'd go for it.