Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Bottom Paints

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:37:32 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Two questions: What percent of the time since you applied the paint
have you been underway and do you scrub the bottom at all?

Our boat is on the move a lot for 5 or 6 months of the year, and much
less frequently the other 6 months. On average we have the bottom
cleaned every 3 or 4 months.

I ask this because from what I read most of the new paints are self
polishing or ablutive and if you are always moving then they seem to
work but if you stay at anchor very long they don't. The Aussie I
mentioned painted his bottom 3 months ago and spent the time since at
anchor except for one trip to Malaysia and back - say 250 miles. He
tells me that he has almost as many barnacles on the bottom as he did
when he went in the yard.

There is no excuse for barnacles with good paint, properly applied.
Something is wrong.