Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default Even Wilbur wouldn't bad mouth this one

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 23:05:05 -0600, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 08:29:55 +0100, BrianH wrote:

Bruce in Bangkok wrote:

Log Entry:

1854 March 1
On the this day the Lightning sailed 436 miles, which is the longest
day's run recorded by a sailing ship.

March 1. ---
Wind S., strong gales; bore away for the
North Channel, carried away the foretopsail and lost jib;
hove the log several times, and found the ship going through
the water at the rate of 18 to 18½ knots per hour; lee rail
under water, and the rigging slack; saw the Irish land at 9:30
p.m. Distance run in the twenty-four hours, 436 miles.

Oh yes he would - he would pedantically correct the "knots
per hour", calling it ''lubberly' and the author a 'girly-man'.

I'm not sure what the common shipboard use of "knots" would have been
in 1854. I know that the log was cast the report made would have been
"X" knots and "Y" feet, or fathoms, so possibly it would have been
common to talk of knots per hour. I'm fairly sure that the Captain
knew what it meant though.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)

Bruce?

I usually enjoy reading your stuff.
I often learn something as well as being entertained.

But...

Making fun of retarded kids isn't interesting, entertaining, or nice.

Just ignore him?

Please?

Respectfully,

Richard

I really do try and about the time I think I've overcome my addiction
to shooting him down here he comes again with another blooper and my
good resolve flies out the window.

But he did post a very rational message about bottom paint that I
answered in kind so maybe I'll cold turkey it this time.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)