Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default Bottom Paints

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:17:10 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 15:28:08 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

Has anyone experience with anti fouling paints for cruising sailboats
that are in the water 100% of the time in tropical waters. Like most
cruisers we sail some of the time but the boat sits there a lot.

I have a cruising trawler that is in the water all year, of which
about 8 months are tropical. I'm using Interlux Micron Optima which
was highly rated by Practical Sailor for tropical usage. The paint is
doing a great job.

Check your gmail account for more info.

Got your email and replied.

Two questions: What percent of the time since you applied the paint
have you been underway and do you scrub the bottom at all?

I ask this because from what I read most of the new paints are self
polishing or ablutive and if you are always moving then they seem to
work but if you stay at anchor very long they don't. The Aussie I
mentioned painted his bottom 3 months ago and spent the time since at
anchor except for one trip to Malaysia and back - say 250 miles. He
tells me that he has almost as many barnacles on the bottom as he did
when he went in the yard.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)