posted to rec.boats.building
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Why a laminated tiller handle?

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:02:11 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

The rudder/tiller on my Potter 15 is disintigrating, so I will be asking a
few questions on rebuilding it in the next few weeks.

The tiller handle is laminated wood, in a very slight S curve. It has
delaminated; and while I am now gluing it up with polyurethane glue, I think
it will have to be replaced in the long run.
It doesn't go over or under anything, so I don't see that the S curve is for
anything but maybe style. Can I make the new one straight? Is there
anycompelling reason it has to be laminated? I have a nice piece of very
old white oak I can use to cut a new one; will a solid white oak tiller
handle be inappropriate for any reason? Thanks. (I have a bandsaw, so
duplicating the curve would be easy enough, but I think it will weaken the
handle, unless there is a good reason for the curve.)

If you really need the curves, perhaps you could steam bend the piece
of oak.

Casady