posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Nav & Position report pgm sharing GPS

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 03:07:47 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I am running an XP comp. When underway, I use winlink connections to
give position report, but when I am running my Navigation program
(Cap'n 6.1), the GPS data is unavailable to airmail to get position,
course and speed info. Is ther ea way to have the GPS feed more than
one com port so that I can do this without closing the nav program to
make GPS (or it's com port) visible to airmail? TIA Larry

If you have a spare serial port on the computer, just make a "Y" cord
to connect the GPS data out to the data in on two serial ports. Do
not connect the computer data out on the second serial connector.

One NMEA-0183 output should be able to drive at least four listeners.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca