Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default Bottom Paints

Has anyone experience with anti fouling paints for cruising sailboats
that are in the water 100% of the time in tropical waters. Like most
cruisers we sail some of the time but the boat sits there a lot.

Before the demise of TBT paints I used Jotun HB-66 and got 3 years
plus out of a paint job. Since there is no more TBT I have talked to
everyone I meet that has painted their boats recently and I get a
uniform "it ain't no good" response to everyone, no matter what paint
they used. Cheap stuff or the top of the line International paints the
answer seems to be the same.

As I have two boats to paint in the next few months if anyone has any
positive experience with legal anti fouling paints I would be really
glad to hear about them.

I can still get old fashion copper bottom paint here in Thailand and
unless someone tells me about something that really works I think I'm
going to go with the old fashioned stuff. It worked pretty good 40
years ago and it should work pretty good today, which is better then
the reports I've been getting on the new expensive stuff. To quote an
old Aussie I know, "if you gotta scrub it every month you might as
well use barn paint".

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)