Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default America's Cup sail design

On 2007-06-17 14:52:52 -0400, " said:

My experience with sails made with a dacron/mylar/pentax/dacron
sandwich has been very good. I've got a six year old mainsail that has
taken me all over the Pacific that is still holding up very well.
I've also got two jibs made from the same stuff that are in very good
condition. I actually delayed going to headsail roller furling for two
years because I couldn't bear to take them out of service while they
looked so good...

That sounds about what I was remembering, and about the time period
when I was looking.

Thanks for the report. It's the first I've heard from someone actually
cruising with them. Every other report to date has been more-or-less
advertisement or coastal sailors.

Couple of questions for you and anyone else with actual long-distance
experience?
Do they need that sacrificial strip?
Any quirks?
How heavy are they compared to Dacron?

Xan's a "fast cruiser" who *really* likes high quality (aka "racing")
sails that can be properly shaped, but I was leery from the reports of
the low durability I'd heard a decade or so ago, delamination and
mildew between the plies.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD