Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default America's Cup sail design

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 18:15:04 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 08:12:45 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

lo and behold! up pops Maltese Falcon, which is a square rigged ship, i.e.,
three masts with square sails on all three. A very interesting rig, but
very retro and also very fast.

I think it was clipper ship Flying Cloud that did more than 400 miles
in 24 hours. I call that fast. Only thing wrong with a square rig is
that they don't go to windward all that well.

Casady

I think that most of the commercial ships, like Flying Cloud, sailed
primarily downwind nearly all the time. Out east in one season and
back home the next. I even had a chart of power and sailing routes
with the routes marked by seasons.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)