Harry Krause

Default Disappointment

John Gaquin wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I still cannot figure out why the Fundie Repugs believe "same-sex
marriage" is a threat to heterosexual marriage.

You can figure it out, Harry -- you just claim you can't. Perceived threat
to any individual heterosexual marriage is not the main issue. The issue
seems to be what you might call the fabric of society. In one or two
Scandinavian countries (can't recall which, and don't have the data in front
of me) which have legalized and accepted homosexual marriage for 2 or 3
decades, the incidence of marriage in general has dropped precipitously.
Some 60% of first births are now to single women.

So? Are you saying the drop in marriage results from allowing gay
marriage? If that is the case, perhaps gay marriage isn't deviant, eh?

About 50% of the marriages in this country end in divorce, and I suspect
a high percentages of those divorces result in single parent families.

The question is why a society of some 300 million people should redefine an
entire societal structure in order to accommodate the sensibilities of 3% of
that population. It's a thorny issue, and I vacillate myself.

I don't see it as redefinition as much as inclusion.