Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Yet Another Tragic Case......

Calif Bill wrote:
"Reginald P. Smithers III" wrote in message
. ..
D.Duck wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 10:08:22 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

If a law went into effect tomorrow that mandated helmets in every
state, by
how much would your current taxes, vehicle insurance and health
insurance
premiums be reduced by?
I agree with you on this - it wouldn't make a whit of difference.

My argument is that the same logic behind no helmet laws should also
be applied to seat belts - personal choice.

And the odd thing is that the "safety" statistics for seat belt use
being more safe than not is highly fabricated and, frankly, false.
I really don't care one way or another. I have no idea what the data
shows.

Why are there such laws in place if it doesn't help?

Not trying to argue, just get some points of view.

I find it hard to believe that insurance companies, who actually know the
cost, would promote anything that would cost them more money. If seat
belts and helmets were not safer, insurance companies would aggressively
fight against the laws.

Insurance companies make more money when they pay out more money. Sounds
strange, but everytine they have to pay out more money they raise rates, and
they make a percentage of the rates as profit. Higher rates, higher profit.

I guess they should be pushing to get rid of air bags, they could really
make some big time money.