posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.electronics
Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Annapolis Alternator Shop

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 07:43:08 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 21:08:04 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:30:16 -0700, Tim wrote:

I've seen many a 130A L/N come in with stators fried to a crisp due to
rotten batteries and/or dubious ground cables. (but usually the pos.
rectifier was toast too!)

I have seen many a fusable link in an alternator output wire. How do
you fry electrical goods with a proper fuse in place? You don't. I
thought there was a voltage regulator. That doesn't protect the
alternator?

Casady

No, the normal alternator regulator simply controls the output of the
alternator in reference to battery voltage. Low battery voltage high
output, high voltage low output.

It must not be so simple/cheap to regulate current, or they would
probably do it. They do put in that dirt cheap fusable link.

Casady