Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default PerfectPitch prop

On 2007-11-29 08:41:16 -0500, said:

Sorry about that mixup but the Perfect Pitch from Performance Props is
a 2-blade to replace my old 3 blade bronze prop.

No, it's me that's mixing you up. I needed a three-blade to eliminate
vibration from our long shaft and big blade.

The only other bronze underwater is my prop strut

No through hulls?

and I filed away enough material (about 2 mm) to reach good metal so I
know there is some good metal underneath. I plan to replace it as soon
as I can figure out how to get one or have one made.

They are somewhat standard; we replaced one fairly easily though it
wasn't an exact match. Take measurements before you splash, angles and
distances.

Sounds like you might have a bad ground, perhaps a bilge pump "hot"
lead in the bilge water, or as happened to a dock mate, a slightly
mis-wired alternator.

Bronze doesn't go punky for no reason.

My worries about the new (2 bladed) prop is if it will perform as well
under power as my old 3 bladed bronze prop. Drag under sail is a small
issue with me since I have found that about half of my cruising time is
spent under power anyway.

Our 2-blade gave us better performance and economy than the three-blade
because less blade area = less drag. We had to switch to eliminate the
vibration, or we'd have a 2-blade.

I suspect you're going to like the results, particularly as bad as your
old one was.

--
Jere Lull
Tanzer 28 #4 out of Tolchester, MD