posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default 17 foot mahogany barrelback runabout just finished

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 13:21:19 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:59:52 GMT, "Delburt D"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:21:47 GMT, "Delburt D"
wrote:

wrote in message
Tom:

Beautiful boat - cool website. Your design in very reminiscent of Ken
Hankinson's Barrelback 19, see:
http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/barrelback19.html

You indicate that the boat will cruise 'all day' at "hull speed."

This term is generally used for displacement boats. That is, hull
speed is generally not applied to boats whose speed is not limited by
wave drag.

Be that as it may, do you mean that your vessel can cruise all day at
5.52 knots (sq root 17 X 1.34)?

Are Runabouts generally used by folks who'll be content with a few
quick bursts of speed? I mean, haven't classic mahogony runabouts had
small block V 8 engines for the 'go-fast' - as in "go-fast-all-day"
crowd?

Not trying to be a naysayer, just curious as to your motivation.

Mike Worrall
Los Angeles

Thanks for your response Mike.

While we are hoping to see better performance down the road, there are
many
lakes that not only do not allow gas motors but also no wakes. This is
our
initial target. We are just offering a way to cruise and look better than
the current choices in electric powered boats.

We Have had her at several boat shows so far and have received very
positive
feedback. Basically we have a cocktail cruiser with attitude!!

As battery technology improves, several new types are currently in
production and pre production.

Tom

Hydrogen fuel cell.

Yea! and if we can figure out a way to crack the Hydrogen and Oxygen on
board we would have unlimited rage!!!

This technology will come to pass I think but it is still a ways off.

I think it's getting pretty close. I recently read about a Honda
automobile that is in production and using it. The biggest obstacle is
establishing a network of places to obtain the Hydrogen. I think the
first place it will catch on is for fleet use, where the vehicles
return to a central location every night. Taxi cabs, utility
companies, etc. Once that sector gets firmly established, I think
you'll see Hydrogen stations start to appear in major Metro areas.

It sure solves the battery issue!

Mercedes has been tinkering with these things since the 1990's and I
believe have several test vehicles on the road (I believe Buses at
some location in England) for several years. But as you say, refueling
is a problem.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)