posted to rec.boats.building
[email protected] justwaitafrekinminute@gmail.com is offline
Senior Member

Default Adventures in Lofting

On Nov 29, 2:41 pm, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Richard,
You have done a very good job of recreating a lines drawing on a computer,
but your effort has nothing to do with lofting. Lofting is laying out on a
wooden floor the full lines drawings full scale for the purpose of template
generation, one on top of the other using the table of offsets as an initial
starting point. Fairing the lines occurs during this process by driving
nails in the floor at line intersections and subsequently bending an
appropriate batten around the nails to scribe the line. When the battens
fails to bear on a nail, the nail is then removed and redriven at the
correct point. The offset from the table is then remeasured and entered into
a new table that is called the "corrected table of offsets". Only then can
templates be taken off the lofting for the manufacture of the individual
components to stand up the actual hull. This is not done with a mouse while
sitting comfortably in a chair. It is extremely hard work done on your hands
and knees for many days on end. No computer will ever replace this task,
even big ship yards still must bulletproof the table of offsets for CNC
cutting machines to be accurate.
Steve

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

I thought I was a pretty good draftsman.
At least until I tried lofting hull shapes...
Buildings, machine parts, entire aircraft - no problems.

But fairing a hull can be a humbling experience.

Well, for grins and glggles, here are a few of my efforts so far.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/draft.htm

Richard- Hide quoted text -

:O