Gordon Gordon is offline

Default New Software Could Warn Sailors of Rogue Waves

Bob wrote:
On Nov 27, 6:04 pm, Brian Whatcott wrote:

Er...that would be a long wind fetch on an adverse current,
I take it?

That certainly does create steep frequent waves. Sorta like a
"washboard road. I think Rogue Waves are a little diffrent in that it
is significanly larger and not seemingly having any predictable
pattern. Thats what freak evevyone out about them.

Or a tsunami, no doubt.

No expert here. Never been in a real big tsunami. I went to a tidal
wave part in the 80s on the Oregon coast. I thing it registerd a
couple inches and the OSU Marine Science Center but what ive heard
is its not noticable at sea. Just at the shore when the water
disaperars, then returns....... Phuket, Cresent City, CA and AK in way
early 1960s

Okay here is one condition that creates Rogues waves.......
take the Pacific. You have a huge Low in the Gulf of Alaska and
another Low 3000 miles to the south and west. Both create long sea
swells of diffrent duration and have thousand of miles to travel
(fetch) untill they get to N 48 : Straights of Juan De****ya. You ve
got local weather/ swells and then thoes swells from the big Lows way
off just seem ot get in sink with a local normal swell all at the
same place and same time that build to make a Hug "rogue wave" They
all sorta stack on each other all at once......... then back to
normal.....

Thats probable the most well know cause. There are a few more. But I
am sure that old salt who posted here named You will add a few more in
the morning..

Bob

Brian W

That you Wilbur?