Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] Bruce in Bangkok[_2_] is offline

Default Stop diesel venting when filling tank?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:22:36 GMT, "Dave Isherwood"
wrote:

Boat is a Carver 530 Voyager and with two vents on either side. When I fill
(even using a normal slow pump) I get diesel fuel venting. Yesterday I had
to add 200 gal. to each side and venting started after I'd put in 10 gal.
I'm at a lose to understand why this is happening. Foaming seems unlikely as
it would need to have filled 50% of the tank!

Any ideas of what is going on? Or even better a simple remedy that works!

Thanks,

Dave

On my tanks which are about 4 feet long and fairly shallow the fill
line enters at the front of the tank and the vent line is connected at
the rear of the tank. What I believe is happening is that the
inrushing fuel creates a wave that sloshes back and forth inside the
tank and forces fuel out the vent. At least it appears that way as the
venting is an interrupted squirting as though caused by surging.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(Note:remove underscores
from address for reply)